DIY Time Out Jar
A few years ago we found a great solution to make time outs seem like not such a bad thing. A homemade time out jar gives a child a chance to calm down for a few minutes “out”, take a deep breath and get back into the fun. This DIY project was recently brought back to our attention (via the front door) when we received a package from Esme & Roy, a new tv show from Sesame Workshop.
The show will launch this week (August 18th) on Treehouse and will be loaded with educational play ideas for preschoolers, hence the delivery of everything needed to make our own calming glitter jars.
It’s a super simple recipe that just may help you avoid your next meltdown!
Jar with removable lid
- Pour clear glue into the jar until it fills up to about 1/4 full.
- Slowly pour hot water until the liquid reaches 3/4 full.
- Add as much glitter as you like and stir using the stir stick.
- Pour more hot water to bring the water level to just below the top of the jar.
- Add 1-2 drops of food colouring and stir using the stir stick.
- Twist on the lid and give the jar a shake.